- Corporate M & A and Private Equity
- Oil and Gas
- Master of Laws – Harvard Law School
- Bachelor of Laws – Makerere University, Kampala
- Diploma in Legal Practice (LDC)
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East African Law Society
- Member, International Bar Association
Stephen Tumwesigye is a founding partner at the firm and one of Uganda’s leading corporate & tax lawyers. He heads the Corporate,M & A and Impact Finance Practices at TASLAF. He is also part of the oil & gas and Tax practices. Stephen formerly worked as a Tax and Legal Consultant with Deloitte- East Africa where he advised leading entities in the East African Region. He holds a Master of Laws(LLM) from Harvard Law School.
Stephen advises private equity and other investment funds setting up in the East African region and leads teams that advise on fund formation, due-diligence on target companies, acquisitions and exits, negotiating complex financing agreements, structuring shareholder agreements and Initial Public Offers.
He has acted for international firms in the oil and gas and financing space that are involved in high profile infrastructure projects. His experience includes advising clients on tax and legal aspects of setting up in Uganda, structuring joint venture agreements, project Finance and advising on all aspects in the Procurement, Engineering and Construction value chain. This is in addition to participating in high level litigation involving employment, tax and construction disputes.
Stephen has also advised on the set up and entry of some of the leading Technology companies in East Africa and has participated in structuring financing for leading app and software developers in Uganda.
He has been involved in the setting up, restructuring and continues to advise leading multinational non profits, Development Finance Institutions(DFI’s) and other philanthropic entities. He has a deep understanding of the non-profit and development finance landscape in East Africa.
He coordinates the firm’s flagship pro bono project which combines the use of Artificial Intelligence(AI) to provide innovative services to East Africa’s leading startups and social enterprises. He has served as a mentor in the Yunus Social Business Foundation and The Tony Elumelu Enterprenuership Program and is a regular speaker at conferences involving finance for development.
Stephen holds Master of Laws(LLM) from Harvard Law School where he was an Open Society Foundations Scholar.
- Legal Advisor to Technip FMC(A French Listed Company) on contract to supply Wellheads to Total E & P.
- Advising Great Lakes Coffee on debt and Equity Investments from impact investors ResponsAbility AG and AgDevco.
- Legal Advisor to IUNGO Capital-an Impact Focused Fund in East Africa.
- Advising an international water and environmental company, Suez (France), on a USD 100 million construction of a water treatment plant in Uganda.
- Advising a Turkish consortium on acontract for the repair of major ferries on Lake Victoria, Uganda, a project of the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA).
- Representing Veksons Uganda in a USD 10 million claim against Bank of Uganda and Crane Bank in Liquidation.
- Advising Great Lakes Coffee Co Ltd on a USD 9000,000 claim against Eco Bank at the High Court (Commercial Division), resulting in a settlement in March 2017.
- Representing Media Focus on Africa on a USD 3000,000 claim for damages resulting from the termination of a Director’s contract on an EU funded documentary project. ( 2017)
- Advising a group of exporters in a UGX 15 billion dispute with Uganda Revenue Authority over whether exempt supplies are within the purview of the VAT Act.
- Advising Yunus Social Business Foundation Uganda on their USD 200 Million fund to support social businesses in Uganda and its registration with the Capital Markets Authority of Uganda. (2016-Ongoing)
- Advising Uganda Biodiversity Trust Fund, a USD 100 million private sectorled conservation fund, on its set up in Uganda.
- Advising on the restructuring of an international NGO, Millennium Promise Inc., and its flagship program, the Millennium Villages Project.
- Acting as legal advisor to Wild Life Conservation Society, one of the oldest international NGO’s in Uganda with over 200 employees. (2015-Ongoing) and advising on the tax aspects of REDD+ projects on climate change adaptation in Uganda.
- Acting as legal advisor to Jhpiegoa leading healthcare advocacy organization with over 500 employees in Uganda. (2017- Ongoing).
- Acting as legal counsel to Great Lakes Coffee, a leading coffee exporter in Uganda, and advising on its USD 7 million debt investment from Responsibility AG.
- Acting as legal and tax advisor to Village Enterprises- a leading social enterprise operating in Hoima and Soroti supporting rural farmers.